Monday, March 1, 2010

Punch Organization & Hanging Storage

Let's talk hanging storage!

I have been DESPERATE for a place to store my punches! I started years ago with them in stacked plastic drawers. That worked fine although they always slid around, and I was forever pulling out drawers to find the punch I wanted. Since then, I have gotten rid of the drawer storage because I don't have the floor space anymore.

Then when my storage went "mobile" because of the stamp room becoming a nursery, I had the punches stored in my turquoise shoebox tins...stacked in a duffle bag. That worked ok for crops and such. But it really stunk for doing work at the house. Opening up tin after tin for what I needed, ugh!

So look what I've gone and done NOW! (All slots are spoken for except 2, some punches are packed for Stamp Club).


So far I am LOVING this hanging, shoe rack method!

Oh all the things I love about this: I love the see-through feature. Each row has a theme...squares, circles, ovals, labels, etc. This takes up no extra space in my SMALL stamp room. The rack is super sturdy as it's made to hold several heavy shoes. And this cost all of $7.50 at Super Walmart!

Some things to consider though are that the hooks on top ARE making indents in our door. I hope I don't tear it up too much. And I can't completely shut the door now, but Jeff agreed it's worth that inconvenience. Also, I need to find a way to get the bottom to stay against the door. If we open/close the door too hard, the whole thing kind of swings. Maybe command sticky things.

But overall and for the price, this has been my best new storage! Other ideas were to buy a big punch rack from online for over $60 with shipping...that would have required holes in the wall which we are trying to avoid. And another hole-in-the wall option was putting towel rack type things on the wall to rest the punches on. That would have been less expensive than the big wooden unit, but it also would have been a LOT of holes! I would have needed a few racks, each with 4 screws, yikes!

Also, you may be wondering about room to expand. WELL, I am super happy that SU is now going to flat storing punches. So the shoe rack will be for my retiring style punches, and I will come up with something new for the new compact punches!

Now onto something a little less exciting but...

We used to have a hook on the back of the door into the stamp room. I had to take that down for the punch rack, and I quickly missed that little hook! I hang stamp bags on there and often our Scrap Club Kits (the white bags) are found hanging there to keep them high away from the kiddies.

So I went on a mission to find over the door hooks for the closet door instead. I found these double hanging hooks for 99 cents each in a crazy little store in town called Tuesday Morning. I had never been there, and I wasn't there to look for hooks. I was just checking it out after being told they get all kinds of random stuff each "Tuesday Morning", kind of like reject stuff maybe from the big stores??? I saw a lot of beat up boxes and big discounts. And I found my hooks when I was least expecting it...exactly what I wanted and more!

Yay for hanging storage!

4 comments:

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

Oh I like your hanging storage! That is so nice. Have you thought about a little velcro for the shoe rack? both at the top to help prevent the indents (cushion) and the bottom to prevent bumping. Nice storage system!

Sherrie said...

Love seeing your organization ides! TFS!

Angela said...

I have the hanging storage for my punches just like yours! I love it! Makes it easier to see what you have, and remember that you have them right there! Love seeing the organization you have going on.

Theresa Tyree said...

So funny. I almost bought one of those shoe racks the other day when I was at Wal-M for my punches.