Sunday, February 28, 2010

Scrapbook Organization

In the midst of my current stamp room organization, it was killing me that most of my scrapbooks were put away in storage! I worked too hard on these albums to have them sitting in boxes. Plus, my boys love looking at pictures of our family and friends. So I knew I had to come up with a place to put these little treasures.

My first thought was to put up heavy-duty shelving in the stamp room. But the only place I had available was up high. And how would they keep from falling over? Bookends? The shelving just didn't seem like a good idea. So I moved onto ideas for in the living room. We have no room for a bookshelf. All floor space in our small home is TAKEN! I wished I had an ottoman that opened up so I could put them in there. But alas, our ottoman does not open, and I wasn't buying a new one. Then somehow I envisioned this...a black, "wooden", cubical type thing to put on top of our computer armoire. I promise, it was all just a vision. I hadn't seen anything really like this. So searching I went, despite being sick. And believe it or not, I found EXACTLY what I wanted! I found this unit at Walmart for 20 bucks. And it fits absolutely PERFECT atop our hutch! I am just so dang excited!

I have to say, I didn't like my 12x12 albums in this unit. They hung out too far. But the 8.5x11 albums work great, which is what I used to mostly do anyways. You may be thinking I don't have much room for growth. That is true. But given our limited space, I have already decided to tone down the scrapbooking. Most of these albums are baby albums of the boys. I did quite a few! Now that they are older (2 & 4), I am set on just doing one family album each year...no more individual albums. So that should help with the space issues. I figure someday I can photocopy the family albums for everyone. Hey, isn't that what they call "digital scrapbooking?" Hee, hee. I'll show you later where the 12x12" albums are.

Now, do I put something decorative on top of the scrapbook unit? Or is that too cluttery? You know, like one of those wooden words like "family" or something??? Anything else? Or just leave it alone? I can organize...but I'm not much for decorating. Help!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

i love the wooden words! i vote for family (maybe in a color that matches living room...if you can find one) and some kind of greenery.

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

what a fabulous find! I would put a little greenery up there, just to add some color, but nothing too much to clutter it up

Jenn said...

Looks great! My opinion would be to put some greenery up there...but I am a plant person. I think the words would look great too.