Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cafe Bag, Take 2

Thank goodness for all this leftover fabric my mom gave me. I keep plugging away at making the perfect Cafe Bag, easiest for beginners. I actually have two more purses cut out so I can keep tweaking my design. Yay for cutting with the Big Shot, it's the easiest part!

The changes I have made so far from #1 to #2 are:
  • Magnet closure instead of flap
  • Handle will be pre-made instead of matching fabric
  • Flower will be a keyring on the handle instead of sewn on the front (not shown)
Features that will remain are:
  • Nine squares on each side. I like this size!
  • A long strap for wearing across the chest for hands-free shopping!
My next issues to consider are:
  • Inside ~ quilted squares with batting in between or fusible fleece with a lining
  • Whether to keep the magnet closure or just have the bag open
Again, I am a beginning sewer. Besides Angie Juda's rag purse, these are my first sewing projects. My mother doesn't understand why I can't just follow a pattern for my first tries. Good question! But I've always been one to tweak things to suit me best. And I also love simplifying things so I can share ideas with others. Once I perfect the features on this bag to be simple and easy, I would love to put out a tutorial for everyone!

Here is a closer look at Version 2 of my Cafe Bag.

Here is the store-bought handle up close. I got it at Joann's....much easier than making your own fabric strap, especially when it needs to be over a yard long!


And here is the magnet closure and the lining. I like magnet over a clasp and button, and it was easy enough to put on...kind of like a brad with prongs. But I'm also a lazy bag carrier. The easiest way to get into a bag the better. So maybe we just leave it open?

Doing a lining was fun, but I think Angie Juda's rag purse method of quilted squares being the inside may be the easiest. I'm off to try that next.

Any input is welcome!

3 comments:

JenMarie said...

FABulous!!!

Angela said...

I love your new bags! Are you going to start selling them?? :0)

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

So pretty, I like the flower on the bag though, reconcider that one. lol. Love the new closures and the handles.