Friday, March 5, 2010

Big Shot Needs A "Brother"

Thanks to the Big Shot machine, I have taken my old sewing machine out of the box and set it out on my craft table. When I took it in to my mom's quilt shop to learn how to use it...um....learn how to THREAD it, she laughed at it. I guess sewing machines have come a long way since she gave me that White machine 10 years ago.

But I was proud of my heavy duty machine and quickly learned how to use it. Then mom decided it was time to show me the new models of machines...still basic...but electronic (not manual like mine). She and I both agreed that a beginner Brother machine was perfect for me!

With a user-friendly machine, I think sewing will be much easier for me, I will like doing it, and I will more likely keep with it. This starter Brother machine has speed settings which is great because I do not have a steady foot on the foot pedal! Also, with the Brothers, you can actually detach the foot petal and just push a button to make it go. Holy Cow, sign me up! Another great feature is that threading is so much easier!

Brother actually teamed up with the show Project Runway and put out some machines with the Project Runway logo on them. So they are running good deals on these machines for people willing to take the logo. Discount? Again, SIGN ME UP! The beginner model that my mom has in her shop is the Brother Innov-is 40, it is the one pictured above with a pink control panel, and it's the one I hope to get someday soon. There is actually such a high demand for these that she can't keep them in stock and there are some backorder issues...although it is getting better. I guess it's just a great value.

My mom does have a floor model that anyone local can go in and test out. I tried to take that one, but she wasn't having it. So for now, I will just go in once a week to visit the floor model until I have my own to take home.

What kind of machine do you have and love?


3 comments:

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

OMG, it's a project runway sewing machine! Love it and I am so excited for you!

Jenn said...

I love Project Runway!! I am wanting to learn how to sew too (I was taught a long time ago...but need help remembering). Is your mom offering any sewing classes? Maybe we can work on some projects together?? I have an esante embroidery machine (which my mother has taught me how to use...but I haven't actually done it by myself yet).

Unknown said...

Jenn, my mom DOES offer classes at the shop. You can call Sew Unique or stop in for class schedules. She ended up ordering extras of this Project Runway machine too since they are now filling orders on them. :)