Wednesday, September 1, 2010

DSP Share: Project #29


Update: Thanks for all the great feedback on this via email and comments. I think I could make up kits for this if anyone is interested. Email or comment if you would like me to work up a supply cost. It could be mailed long distance if needed. And I could customize with any current SU DSP! :)


DSP: Jolly Holiday

Oh my goodness, I am completely giddy! I have turned all Martha Stewart in the past couple days. Projects running through my head like crazy. Actually getting out supplies and CREATING. I can't wait to show you all the home decor I'm tackling. It's something about finally having your dresser and your son's bed moved into the new house that really starts the decor bug I guess!

ANYWAYS! I realized while perusing all these gorgeous home decor blogs that my dry erase boards on the frig, while semi-organized, were actually a ghastly sight....especially since we opened up the livingroom and kitchen and the frig is seen all over the main floor!

So I've been thinking all day on how to cutsify my many lists and my calendar...and our chore chart (to be shown later). During dinner the ideas were coming together for something cute but PRACTICAL (because that's me). After dinner I started creating.

First I pulled the SU chalk decor elements off of my stamp room wall. I never used it like I thought I would in there. YES, I pulled it off carefully and put it back up in a different place, the side of the frig. SU says these are not re-usable and I would not guarantee that they are. But I've been lucky a couple times!

I wanted the front of my frig to be clean so I put the vinyl chalk on the side facing all the cooking action. Then I cut Jolly Holiday DSP into 4x4 pieces for backgrounds for each of my lists. I think my lists may change so they are written in chalk, easily erasable. I used quite a few strong round magnets to make the button magnets. Has this been done before? The large buttons from SU's designer buttons fit the magnets perfectly. I adhered with a glue gun. Finally, I cut 3.5 square pieces of notebook paper to make my lists. And I wrote them in black so they would poop and look good.

THEN I needed a place to store my notebook sheets and my black marker. First I decorated a small plastic box but it turned out a bit too big popping off the frig. Then I cut it in half with my rubber scissors...that turned into a disaster. Finally I decided to make my own paper/pen holder by making a box with white cardboard from the DSP packs. I then embellished with more of the Holiday DSP lying on my table. I made those really cute scallop circle flowers next. My scraps made three flowers, and I glued more magnets onto them. Oh, the center of the flowers are vintage brads...oh my, have I gone vintage???

I am happy to report that Jolly Holiday is now completely used up. It's red and green colors actually match my kitchen colors so that worked out great. If you want to try this, find the DSP packs that match your home! With so many options, you are sure to find something that works!

I hope you love this idea as much as I do. :) It was a Jamie original, and I love it when that happens! Next I will show you my matching menu project!

5 comments:

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

Jamie, this is so adorable! love it. you have to post this pic on SCS to show the world how talented and creative you are, plus they all deserve to be able to kopykat you! lol.

Denise B said...

Wow that is super cut what a great idea!

Mandy said...

fabulous! i wish i could see the sides of my fridge but it's tucked in a surround or i would totally do this! great job!

Jennifer S. said...

Yep, I am interested! I say start calculating, lol! Very cute!

Laura M. said...

I love this!! You're awesome Jamie!